Monday, September 28, 2009

Perth Turning Me Into a Sweet Tooth?

I have never been much of sweet tooth and am usually happy to skip the dessert when we go out for dinner. However, this appears to be changing whilst I am in Perth. Last week, my Perth’s food adventure took me to Rochelle’s and this week, I discovered Corica.

Corica is a traditional Italian bakery selling continental strudel, cakes and pastries which was established back in 1957. When I arrived at 10.30am, the shop is already packed and I struggled to get a glimpse of the delicacies being offered at this place. I know that Corica is famous for its apple strudel and being the glutton that I am, I was trying to see if there were other temptations. As I progress to the front of the queue, I started talking to the lady in front of me and was told that the apple strudel is to die for and it’s one of the things her family always have during birthday celebrations and festivities. I also found out that the strudel only come in one size which serves 8 people. The idea of walking out of the shop without the strudel was definitely not an option since 1) I have made all the way here and waited patiently in the queue 2) there were less than 5 boxes of apple strudel left in the shop and the shop has only been opened for 1.5 hrs.
Before I even got home, I couldn’t help myself and wanted to have a peek of the strudel which has been concealed in its box. So I found a bench at a park and opened the box. My first reaction was “How the hell am I going to finish this?” My second reaction was “This is a strudel?” Corica’s strudel is oblong in shape and is built up of layers of pastry, cream, stewed apple and custard with glazed pastry on the top. With much restrain I closed the box without pulling a piece of the strudel with my hand and proceeded to do my groceries.

As soon as I got home, I made a cup of coffee and cut myself a piece of the strudel. As soon I bite into the strudel, I could taste why the strudel can make anyone start salivating as soon as they think about it. The crunch of the pastry is well contrasted with the smoothness of the cream and custard. The stewed apple is perfectly balance with the required amount of tartness and sweetness. It’s a light and refreshing dessert for the Perth weather.

As I wrote this, I am salivating over the apple strudel. Lucky I still have a piece left in the fridge. Perfect for afternoon tea. And no, I didn’t eat the whole strudel over the course of the weekend. I rang a colleague who lives nearly and gave him half the strudel.

1 comment:

  1. look great! actually, we once got the similar thing in BKK (by the way, the shop is already closed and i missed it much). I always think of this as another version of mille feuille :)

    ReplyDelete