Friday, June 5, 2009

Waiting To Go To Good Food and Wine Show

A Friday has never been this hotly anticipated, I am afraid. Nut and I are going separately so we will likely resort to separate posts in this blog based on different sessions and aim. Nut is there to watch Gordon Ramsay cook and get a book signed, I am there to shop. Enough said.

All week at work the Show has been the key topic of discussion. People booking at the last minute, my getting a Buy 1 Get 1 free offer AFTER I had already bought my tickets (damn you Entertainment Card!), girls discussing Masterchef. Good food has been brought to the fore. There was even a discussion about whether the Australians or Kiwis created the pavlova, which resulted in a discussion about pavlovas in general, which led to a peppermint crisp pavlova making an appearance (and then disappearance) at the weekly office staff meeting today. Yeah for food discussions!

To distract everybody, I organised the usual payday lunch at a 10-day-old place called Bertha Brown. Decent eight-dollar pizzas at a rustic, spacious, clean, sunlight-lit bar near my workplace are finally achievable, and from the post-lunch feedback I received it sounds like I have found my colleagues a new lunch cum post-work drinks place. Certainly the staff are still keen to impress and serve, the drinks still at good prices and the hand-cut chips still very nice. Must talk to them about their coffee making skills though - besides the fact that they serve Lavazza which seems very at odds with a place that looks as Australian as this one, they really must work on the milk temperature.

To further distract myself from thinking about the Good Food and Wine Show, I decided at Bertha Brown that I should try new places. After all, I have the Entertainment Book, and other friends have the Age Good Food Guide and Cheap Eats. An alphabetical sequence in approach makes sense, except there are so many places offering winter specials at the moment as well...

If you like to join me, send me a message and I will contact you whenever a trip is being organised! You can even drop me suggestions! The first restaurant is, you guessed it, one that has to have a name beginning with A...

On a different note, I received a link to an article from AC. I had to reply after reading it, "I can only identify with one, yeah!"

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/11-ways-to-spot-a-food-wanker/#item203

No comments:

Post a Comment