Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dealing with coffee dilemma in Sydney

After whining about how hard to find good coffee in Sydney to my fellow caffeine buddy for almost half year, I think it is time to stop complaining and look harder for good coffee.  I can't find my usual coffee place here.

It is not the case that Melbourne has more great coffee bars than Sydney.  I think it's more the case that Sydney's much larger than Melbourne.  That's why great coffee bar in Sydney isn't cluster in some areas like what's happening in Melbourne.

Part of my problem's I almost always after single origin coffee.  There's nothing wrong with the house blend, though.  I just like to play with s/o, it's such a fun.  So, my issue here's I have to find places that have house blend that I like before I try their s/o coffee and they should change s/o daily.  I know... I know... I'm very spoiled when coming to coffee.   
Thanks to Jasper, Dancing Goat, BBB, SevenSeeds, Eclipse, MarketLane, Chris who turned my coffee world upside down, and last but not least my foodies team :D

So, I settled for the second best options.  I won't have my usual place but just go to each cafe once a week since most of the places change s/o once a week, give or take.  Thanks to technology, I'm now following coffee places on twitter to keep track on s/o.

My best love cafe'd be Workshop Espresso, who uses Toby's Estate coffee.  Their extracting's so good that they can convince me that Harar can be up to my liking which no other places can do before.  Plus, they change s/o daily but the downside's their place's so small that I feel guity if I hang out there for long.

Campos'd be a place I go if I crave afforgato.  I like their blend as well 'cos it's chocolaty and nutty.  Plus baristas 're dedicated to coffee.  I witnessed one of them dumped latte down the sink 'cos it wasn't up to his standard.  Luckily, he did that because it supposed to be my latte.  How I knew that?  'Cos I sat next to coffee machine.

Mecca, the city branch, always crowded but s/o always so tempting.

Toby's Estate, City Road, is the closest to my place.  I went there today since I craved afforgato and it was raining.  So, I didn't walk to Campos.  I didn't have afforgato in the end since s/o on filter catched my eye.  It was Panama Kaiser Serracin Gesha.  Bloddy damn good coffee!  Very clean and complex.  If I did the blind tasting, I 'd think it isn't the same coffee.  Coffee profile keeps changing according to temperature change, from floral to citrus (lime, I think) then to dark, smooth, and syrupy.  Who care it's $8 a filter!  Can't drink everyday, though.  Now, I'm afraid to think about a price of La Esmeralda and how good it'd be!  It should be very very very good.  Since other Central America Gesha're fantastic.  LS already fell in love with Costa Rica La Candelilla Gesha this season from Marketlane.

Klink handmade espresso is the newest in my list.  So very cute cafe where I can wait while my mom does some shopping.  Another place with passionate barista.  He refused to sell me coffee since he doesn't know the tasting note of one estate s/o.      

I'll keep searching for more places.  Next in my lists'd be Coffee Trails and Bangbang.  I guess I should give Single Origin Roasters a second go, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment