Saturday, July 17, 2010

Looking for the Best French Toast in Town

I got pretty upset when Phillipa decided to take off the on-site baking function at il Fornaio as well as that much-loved French Toast.  I had only just got over Toby Estate's new French Toast-less menu, and then il Fornaio became almost twice as expensive as it used to be under old management (curses on you St Ali, curses on you!) 

Then ML alerted me to Fandango (next to the Auction Rooms on Errol Street, North Melbourne)

On a rare sunny winter morning, I decided to visit this outwardly small cafe, all the while wondering where I could end up sitting.  I almost giggled at "out the back" when I realised that I had to walk through the kitchen to get there.  I do mean walk through, as in stoves on one side and sinks on the other, with the possibility of an order being shouted through you when you are going through.

The back is actually very charming, with elevated brick pockets of herbs and flowers creating natural partitions between tables.  I had the table next to a large potted lime tree, and realised minutes later that I was sitting amidst groups of foodies.  The kind that discussed cooking the perfect baked and poached eggs at home, the menu philosophy of Von Haus and new hidden restaurants in Melbourne.  Hmm, I could be home :)

As recommended by ML, I decided to order the French toast with bacon, maple syrup and baked apples amidst the many options on the menu (beetroot fetta, big breakfast, avocado and salmon etc).  The sun was shining ever so indirectly into this life-filled backyard, it was a bit cool but not freezing cold, the conversation around was chirpy (and foodie-based, did I mention?), there was nothing on my schedule for the weekend (for once!) and I had my Saturday newspapers.  Was there anything more I could ask for?

Then the mountain...I mean my brunch came.



By the time I finished (leaving half a piece of toast behind with just a drop of syrup left in the little jug), I wished I had got more apple to cut through the salty smokiness of the bacon and the eggy sweet sourdough-based toast.  I wonder if it could have worked better if they served the baked apple more thinly sliced?  There was definitely just enough maple syrup though :P

ML, good recommendation.  Not sure that this is the best I have had, but it may possibly be the best in town at the moment.

Food - 4 out of 5.  Definitely want to visit again to try other options on the menu.  For the French toast, you may want to consider bringing a friend to share if you are not ravenous.

Coffee - order the banana smoothie, nuff said.  I accept that others may feel differently, considering that someone near me ordered a soy long macchiato after consuming his soy latte.  Supplied by Coffee Supreme.

Service - 4 out of 5.  Friendly and informal to suit the design and layout of this place, though one chap was rather stiff-mannered.


Value for money - not bad.  Not bad at all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment