Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Comfort of Food

It has been nearly 3 months since I settled back in Melbourne and I definitely feel like I have returned home. My decision to not stay in Perth has had an impact on my career progression back in Melbourne and has been the cause of frustrations and disappointments in this New Year. Despite this, I am so grateful and bless to have a network of close friends who have been patient and supportive with my constant vents and doubts on my capability. For those friends who are reading this, Thank You.

I didn’t realise how much of an emotional eater I still am until I stepped on the scale recently and saw the result of my laissez faire attitude towards my diet. The last time this happened was when I broke up with the first boyfriend all those years ago. However,when one is down, one can't resists the seduction of a buttery and chrunchy Noisette croissant with gooey ripe French brie, the creaminess and balance of the bitterness and sweetness of Maggie Beer’s burnt fig and caramel ice cream, the smokiness achieved only in a well seasoned wok of Chom Chom’s Char Kuih Teow, a honey golden 5 year pinot gris which has developed into something complex with lots of nuances that evolves from the tip of your tongue when you first taste it til when you swallowed it. The list goes on...

The effect of food on me was so prominent this morning that it has inspired me to write this post. Waking up with my head pounding, my body aching, my throat scratchy and my nose sniffling. I couldn’t think of anything but a good decent breakfast. Despite already calling in sick and fridge full of food, I was in no mood to cook and decided to wonder to Hardware Society. Poached pear with saffron, star anise and cinnamon complemented with the tartness of plain yoghurt spiced with vanilla seeds, toasted Noisette croissant with homemade fig jam, a cup of Supreme latte and a Gourmet Traveller whilst having breakfast was just want the doctor ordered. Though still feeling the symptoms of the flu, my spirit has definitely lifted.

Yes, I know that using food as a quick fix is not the solution to my problems and bad for the waist line. Yes, I am slowly seeking solutions to my current work situations and hopefully will grow and learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment