Thursday, July 16, 2009

Of Dinner Parties

Two weekends ago I attended two dinner parties in a row.

The first one sent out a preview of the three course menu a month in advance, had 12 people sitting on a linen cloth-covered long table & eating under the warm glow of candlelight, and nobody had to do anything but eat drink and talk. The hostess sat next to me, anxiously assessing my reaction to the prawn curry and the eggplant moussaka and the roast quinces served with homemade kufi.

The second one had the invitation sent two days in advance, was supposed to be a steamboat party but became a pizza and stir fry session, had fourteen people scattered on the floor and dining table, and involved lots of finger licking. I brought my own tea pot and teas so we could have tea after dinner, the hostess had to write down the recipe for the prawns and the oven-baked chicken for numerous people, and we had to put on our poker faces for the "Find The Killer" card game.

Was the food good at both parties? Yes, besides the takeaway pizza. Was the drink good? You bet it was. Did I enjoy myself at both parties? Yes I did, though I have to confess that I probably enjoyed fighting over the chicken more than being the only person who could take the second helping of kufi & quince. I like it when people have their guard down at parties like this...

Would I organise my own dinner party? I used to in Adelaide, when I had the space to do it. I do not have the guts to cook for more than six people, and I would probably send the invitation a week or two in advance. Baked barramundi, lemongrass braised chicken, trademark pork belly stew, stir fry vegetables. Or a potluck. Or a steamboat. Freshly baked cake, chocolate fondue, jazz music in the background, loose leaf teas and plunger coffee.

What kind of dinner party would you hold?

2 comments:

  1. wanna join the second party so much! wish i were there.

    another thing you forgot at your dinner party, wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided I had better not mention the wine. The effects on some attendees were...as they say, "what happens on Sunday night stays on Sunday night" LOL

    ReplyDelete